blah, blah, blah

Monday, October 17, 2005

Wiener Roast

My man's car battery blew up today. Crazy, huh? So long story short, it meant the kids and I were on our own for dinner. I noticed grandmother had two nice burn piles going at her house. So on a whim, I grabbed juice cups, BBQ Lays, mustard, ketchup, 3 plates, an apple, knife, some napkins, and the only 2 hotdogs we had left. I rounded up the gang and we headed down to grandma's for a quick first novice wiener roast. I had planned on using long nature sticks but I should have known and remembered that in her "old treasure box" basement she'd have the perfect hotdog roasting metal sticks.

We all got around the pile of ashes. They stood there all of about 3 minutes and tired their luck at outdoor cooking. In those 3 minutes, each hotdog got dropped in the grass, stuck in the ashes and #3 slapped her hotdog across her sister's face. Then of course I ended up cooking all 3 while they ran around like wild little Indians. When it came time for our dinner to be served, #1 admitted he liked the crunch the fire gave the hotdog. #3 sat in grandma's lap and tried a few bites. #2 refused to eat it. I don't blame her, they looked pretty gross. I tried to rubbed all the grass and ash off on my jeans, but you know there is only so much you can do. So we spent about an hour building up the fire with new sticks and leaves. The kids were completely fascinated by it. As we walked home #2 looked at me and said, "Mommy this has been a really fun day." It sure has.




1 Comments:

Blogger Joan said...

Love it all. Yeah, that's a weinee roast. Just wait til you get to the marshmallows! YOU should roast those, too! Ha.

Great shots. Great memories. Great job rescuing the day.

8:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home