blah, blah, blah

Friday, September 8, 2006

new pets

#1 rounded up a bunch of tadpoles today and now they are our new pets. Not sure how I feel about it. I mean, I really don't feel like I have time to manage pet care for a dozen baby frogs. But our unit study is on the water cycle, lakes, ponds, oceans, etc, so I guess it's the perfect time to adopt some aquatic live. The things poop like cheap goldfish which really grosses me out. We haven't had them more than an hour and there is already lots of stringy poo floating around. It will be interesting to see just how many make it to adulthood. The girls are constantly wanting to poke around at them and pick them up. We've already have one incident. Poor tadpole got its guts squeezed out. I think #3 did it. He/she swam around with all its junk just swishing around in the water behind him. Pretty amazing. I'll bet that within a week they are all dead. I will try not to feel too bad about it. Hopefully the kids can learn a thing or two from the experience.

Shiney baby bellies of the tadpoles from the bottom of the jar he collected them in. We did put about half of them back.


Not even one hour later: See the POOP! Oh and one is already dead.



5 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

My kids would love this. We just read a book on tadpoles.

1:44 PM

 
Blogger Renee said...

You are so great at making science come alive for the kids! literally. Science would be so dull around here with out my man's help. I can hear him right now outside drilling away at birdhouses with the boys. I am blogging and organizing my jewelry. Would they be getting to make birdhouses if it weren't for him? I don't think so. Hey, I emailed you, twice, today about going on a field trip next week together. Let me know what you think! Love you!

2:21 PM

 
Blogger terrible speller said...

Now they are REALLY grossing me out. If one dies, the others eat it. All that is left is an empty tadpole shell. #1 thought it was cool.

3:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved it when you said "....one is already dead." Not to laugh at death, but when it comes to pets like fish, you gotta chuckle a little.

4:59 PM

 
Blogger on the Rock said...

oh! That's so cool! A live science project! It's hours and hours of fun. But yeah, then science gets stinky after awhile, and then it's clean up duty for mom.

12:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home