blah, blah, blah

Thursday, January 5, 2006

got this thought...

I have been pondering a thought for the past few days. Maybe once I tell it I can put it to rest.

I have been thinking about how self image can alter one's view of another person. Like, if you struggle to constantly focus on your own weaknesses and failures, you are probably more apt to always find fault in other people. And for married couples the first one you criticize is your spouse. I did this for the first couple of years of our marriage. I instantly wanted to be a super Christian with every ounce of me perfected. So I mulled over my shortcomings constantly. What it did is it spurred me to critique my man, just as I was myself. He felt the pressure and at the time I did not understand it. I guess I am just realizing more of it now, several years later. I am happy to say God has shown me how to love myself. To find a balance between, I am a terrible sinner and I am a beloved child of God. Can't swing too far one way or pride will blind you to your need for Christ, swing too far the other way and you live by "rules" and have a hard time accepting grace.

I have to remember Satan is all about trying to mess us up. If he is not tricking us to believe we are beyond God's grip of grace, he's telling us we're smart enough, good enough, we don't need Christ, the bible, or to heed the Holy Spirit's voice. He'll tempt, divide, spoil about anything to keep us from Jesus. Thankfully Christ is stronger and he does equip us to resist the danger. It's just our choice.

"So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." 1 Corinthians 10:12-13

Alright, I think I might be coming across as preaching. Really I am to myself. It's good for me to be reminded just how blessed I am to know Jesus. How critical it is that the gospel be taken to the ends of the earth and how I long for the day when I can eternally fully experience God's glory.

I am excited about school today. I am really enjoying it. Part of our family may be losing some weight today. #3 has a tummy bug, I hope nobody else catches it.

I am off to face the world.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:03 AM

 
Blogger Joan said...

I think you are right. My pastor said once that to focus on our shortcomings is to reinforce them by review. We need to instead focus on Christ. Being introspective myself, it is hard to guard. When I focus on "making myself" what I perceive to be right...it is an exercise in pride and judgement so often. I've seen that in myself, too.

The only guard I'm feeling lately on the "love bug"...which I also have if you've seen my blog...is that I can't will to obey Him unless I am immersed in having the mind of Christ...ie, spending time in his word. And, of that, I've not been where I need to be lately. Mind, will, and emotions, I have conceded...must all be focused and working at full steam for me to live a victorious and obedient walk. I guess it gets back to the "Love him with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength". Physical, mental, emotional, spiritual energy and focus...never relying on only one...the pull of the others seems to distort truth otherwise.

Wish I were talking to you at this moment rather than typing because that sounds like a mouthful.

Appreciate the thought provoking blog to help shape my own thoughts today.

thanks!

Me

3:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home